This November, Virginia’s voters will elect their U.S. Representatives! With important issues like reproductive rights, immigrant justice, common sense gun reform, and voting rights at stake, it is imperative that Asian Americans in Virginia make their voices heard in this election. In order to protect our rights and make progress in our country, Asian American voters must turn out and vote for candidates who care about workers, communities of color, immigrants, women, and young people.
NAKASEC Action Fund is hiring part time Canvassers for its 2022 civic engagement campaign. This is a unique opportunity to empower, mobilize, and share important voting resources with progressive Asian voters in Virginia through door-to-door, in person conversations.
Ideal candidates will be highly organized, detail-oriented people who thrive on connecting with others. To ensure the safety of everyone in the program, NAKASEC Action Fund will provide all PPE, training on how to canvass safely, and other necessary protocols.
- Effectively inform community members on important voting information and deadlines through socially distanced canvassing
- Use technology to ensure accurate and timely data entry
- Complete daily and weekly reports on canvassing experiences
- Represent NAKASEC Action Fund Virginia with professionalism and ethical conduct
- Successfully complete required training & follow all required COVID-19 safety protocols
- Other duties as assigned, as related to the success of the civic engagement campaign
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to complete required tasks in a campaign setting
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Able to use a computer and smartphone and learn how to use different apps and platforms for voter contact (e.g. MiniVAN)
- Ability to work on weekends and some evenings
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Bilingual in Korean, Vietnamese, Mandarin Chinese, Hindi, or Arabic is an asset
- Previous canvass experience is helpful but not required, as training and coaching will be provided to all canvassers
Location: based in Centreville, VA with regular travel near Sterling, VA
Job Type: part-time (15 hrs/week)
Duration: August 30 – November 8, 2022
Reports to: NAKASEC Action Fund Field Coordinator
To Apply Applications are closed.
Send resume to Jasmine Leu (firstname.lastname@example.org and Sami Watson (email@example.com) with the subject “NAKASEC Action Fund Part Time Canvasser” by 11:59 PM EST on August 16, 2022 for priority consideration. Please indicate in your resume if you are bilingual in another Asian language and your level of proficiency in that language.
About NAKASEC Action Fund
NAKASEC Action Fund was founded in August 2005 and engages in policy and legislative advocacy to protect and strengthen the nation’s laws and policies regarding civil rights, immigrant rights, and human rights. NAKASEC Action Fund aims to project a progressive voice and promote the full participation of Asian Americans within the social justice movement. Through community organizing, public policy advocacy, civic engagement, and youth leadership development, NAKASEC Action Fund works to build a future in which low- and middle-income, immigrant, people of color, and marginalized communities can fully participate in U.S. society and work together as makers of lasting change.
NAKASEC Action Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer. BIPOC, women, LGBTQ+ candidates, and people of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to a diverse workplace and supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities.